The CBSE compartment exams will be held at September-end and the number of exam centres had also been increased, CBSE informed Supreme Court today. The next hearing is on September 10.
The CBSE compartment exams would be held by September-end, the Central Board of Secondary Education told Supreme Court on Friday. SC asked CBSE to file an affidavit sharing the details of how CBSE will be carrying out the exams.
Advocate Rupesh Kumar appeared for CBSE while Bench of Justices AM Khanwilkar, Dinesh Maheshwari and Sanjiv Khanna presided on the case hearing a petition filed by Ankita Samvedi to cancel the CBSE compartment exams this year in view of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The CBSE compartment exams 2020 will be written by 1,50,198 students from class 10 and 87,651 students from class 12.
These exams are conducted for students who couldn’t clear one or two subjects in the CBSE board exams in classes 10 and 12. Compartment students get three chances to clear those one or two papers.
Measures taken for CBSE compartment exams 2020
Kumar informed SC that the number of exam centres for the CBSE compartment exams had been increased to 1278.
“We have taken a decision that in a class where 40 students could sit, now only 12 will sit. We are taking all precautions,” he said as per Bar and Bench.
Kumar said that a notification will be released today on the CBSE compartment exams being held by September-end.
Why can’t CBSE compartment exams be cancelled?
When the petitioner asked why the compartment exams couldn’t be cancelled as the main exams were, the counsel said: “The students will ultimately come in the category of failed students, since exams will not be able to be conducted by September and the students will not be able to apply for further studies.”
Further clarification on petition
SC asked the petitioner to clarify the request in the petition. The plea letter said that CBSE had stated on August 4 that it would not accept the petitioners’ request to cancel the compartment exams.
The same petitioner had filed a different plea earlier which was heard by Justice Khanwilkar on August 20. The court had asked her challenge the CBSE notification of August 6 with a separate petition instead if challenging the exams.
The plea stated that the said issue had not been solve by CBSE yet as the compartment exam dates had not been announced in the notification.
“It is submitted that the Petitioners have approached this Hon’ble Court seeking directions to the CBSE to ensure that, the Petitioners and the other students of class 10th and 12th compartment category are not forced to appear in the compartment examination during the peak of Covid-19,” the petition reads.
Please to extend deadline for college admissions 2020-21
Supreme Court heard another plea today requesting that the college admission deadline for the 2020-21 session be extended.
This is because the last date to close college admissions in most colleges was August 31 and this would leave behind the compartment students since their exam and result was scheduled for later.
This plea, which was filed through Advocate-on-Record Manju Jetley and Advocates Sanjay Kumar Dubey, Tanvi Dubey and Sanpreet Singh Ajmani, also seeks to cancel the CBSE compartment exams this year.
The plea claimed that the decision violated the Right to Equality since other CBSE students didn’t have to appear for the board exams as they were cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.